Attractions


Natural attractions

The Forks Park

The Waterfalls and The Marsh

Walking and hiking trails

The Covered Bridge

 

The Forks Park

"The Forks" is synonymous with the town of Causapscal since its creation. The name signifies the meeting of the Matapedia and the Causapscal rivers. In 1839 an important relay post was established. Since then many fly fishers have come to fish salmon in these great rivers.

"The Forks Park" is ideal for watching salmon fishing, and is a perfect place to enjoy a picnic.

The park can be reached by crossing the suspended bridge over the Matapedia river, located in front of the tourist information bureau on route 132.

Top of page

 

The Waterfalls and The Marsh

Located 15 km from route 132 and from Causapscal, the falls and the marsh are situated on the border of the Causapscal river. As many as five hundred salmon are kept in the marsh. The barrier protects the salmon until October, when they begin to spawn. The marsh is classified as a sanctuary and is a no fishing zone.

Renovations have been made to facilitate access to the salmon marsh. The salmon can be observed from an elevated promenade that sits on the marsh,accessible by the river bank.

The waterfall is three and a half meters high. Salmon can seen climbing the Causapscal river waterfall beginning in mid June. Stairs facilitate visitors' descent to the waterfall. Tables make this a beautiful place for an afternoon picnic.

There are also two interpretation trails and observation points on the site during the summer.

BIT de Causapscal 418 756-6048
Faucus inc. 418 756-5999 Tel 418 756-3344

E-mail : faucuscar@globetrotter.net

CGRMP (Corporation de gestion des Rivières Matapédia et Patapédia) 418 756-5174

Top of page

 

Walking and hiking trails

There are many walking and hiking trails to choose from. Some trails offer short distances, from 2,4 km to 4,3 km in distance, and are located close to the town. Other trails are up to twenty km long and are linked with the International Appalachian Trails.

All the walking and hiking trails are located in wonderful natural surroundings. We ask that all visitors respect the environment.

Memory trail

The Forks and Appalachian station.
Family level trail that runs along the Causapscal river. Length: 2,4 km.

A brochure of thid walking and hiking trails is available at the Causapscal tourist information bureau.

The River Bank

Boreal Forest, Virginia and salmon station. Family level trail that crosses the Causapscal river by way of the suspended bridge. Length: 4,3 km.

A brochure of thid walking and hiking trails is available at the Causapscal tourist information bureau.

Campground Trail

Small trail on wood boardwalk that runs along a creek to the border of the campground. This trail leads to the entrance of the International Appalachian Trails.

The waterfall and marsh trail

These are interpretation and observation trails that enable visitors to experience the incredible mechanism that makes nature function. The trails cover a distance of 15 km. Although the trails are recommended for everyone, there are some parts of the trails that are considered intermediate.

International Appalachian Trails Matapedia Valley, Causapscal-Assemetquagan river.

This sector is less appropriate for the one-day hiker, but is an amazing chance to see fantastic scenery.

Information : the Causapscal tourist information bureau Tel.: 418 756-6048

Top of page

 

The Heppell Bridge

Before the construction of the Heppell bridge in 1908, the two families that resided on one side of the Matapedia river had to use a small boat to travel across. Once the need to reach the other side of the river became greater, the two families could not agree on where they should build a bridge. As no consensus could be reached, both families built their own bridge. Although both the Heppell and the Plante bridges were built, only the Heppell bridge exists today. The Plante bridge was demolished by the Transport Ministry some time ago. The Heppell bridge, built in the "elaborate town" style is one of the oldest covered bridges in the Matapedia valley. À proximité, on peut apercevoir les pêcheurs de saumon pratiquant le lancer de la mouche dans la célèbre fosse 87 où Richard J. Cullen captura, en 1952, un spécimen de 12 kilogrammes.

Near by salmon fishers can be seen fly fishing in the celebrated "pole 87" where in 1952 Richard J. Cullen captured a 12 kg salmon.

Top of page


Artisan crafts

Boutique Matamajaw
(silk-screened clothing and souvenirs)
53 C Rue Saint-Jacques sud
Causapscal (Québec) G0J 1J0
Phone: 418 756-5999
Fax: 418 756-3344
E-mail :  faucuscar@globetrotter.net
Boutique Le Saumoneau 2002
142, rue Saint-Jacques Sud
Causapscal (Qc)  GOJ 1J0
Telephone : 418 756-5450
   
Centre d'Artisanat Causapscal Artisan Crafts
48, rue Saint-Jacques Sud
Causapscal (Qc)  GOJ 1JO
Telephone : 418 756-6529
 

Boutique Matamajaw

A wide range of quality silk-screened clothing for the whole family: coats, jackets, fleece jackets, hats, polo shirts, T-shirts and personalized souvenirs typical of our area.

Competitive prices!

The boutiques are located in the Maison du Gardien on the Matamajaw Historic Site.
Open from mid-May to the beginning of January

Direct payment and Visa accepted.

Only one number to call! : 418-756-5999


The Maison and collection Dr Joseph-Frenette

To enter into theMaison Dr Joseph-Frenetteis to embrace the fascinating universe of this country doctor. As important as the village priest, this great pioneer participated in the colonization of Québec by treating thousands of people. Doctor, poet and a nature lover, Joseph Frenette is a man of great culture who practiced country medicine with extraordinary devotion, great patience and a tremendous respect for life.

Get to know Joseph Frenette…

Right in the middle of extravagant and mountainous landscapes of Charlevoix, more precisely in La Malbaie, Joseph Frenette was born on the 22 nd day of October 1866.

Inclined to practice medicine as well as to humanitarian gestures, Dr. Frenette moves with his family to Causapscal, then in full development, in 1905, becoming the first doctor to live in the village. The year 1907marks the year when he purchases this house where, with his wife and children, he settles down and establishes his medical office. Dating back to the end of the 19 th century, the Second Empire-style house remains modest. Here, four more children are born into the Frenette family.

While Corinne, wife and assistant to Dr. Frenette, is passionate about music, flowering plants, family evenings where she enjoys playing the piano and the organ, making and embroidering ornaments for the church; the doctor, on his part, is captivated by bird watching, religion and literature. He even composes, as the days go by, an unpublished tale especially for his children, to whom he obviously passes on his love of nature, fishing and animals.

Considered as a reference by the important people of the village because of his education, the Dr. Frenette keeps himself upto-date with the progresses of medicine. He also devotes himself towriting, getting his inspiration from his love of nature and life, and from his memories and his faith. Deep inside he is truly a great poet; he will nonetheless remain in the dark to the detriment of his great humility.

Extending his career over more than 60years, this devoted and valiant country doctor passes away at the age of 87, as he figures among the oldest practicing doctors in Québec. The good Dr. Frenette will have written his pages in history… the history of medical practice in Québec, the history of the Vallée de la Matapédia.

Profession: Country doctor

In the 19 th century, practicing medicine did not stop at seeing patients in their medical office. It means going to the bedside of the sick, of the wounded or of the woman who was about to give birth, both day and night, in good weather and in bad, across aterritory that goes from Amqui to Matapédia, in the case of Dr. Frenette. With his university training, he can perform from general medicine to surgery, and because of his great inner qualities, such as his kindness and his courage, he is an outstanding country doctor. Thus, he makes diagnostics, does obstetric exams, sets fractures, teaches good hygiene, pulls teeth, makes medication, and even treats farm animals, which was of major importance back then, and hemust also see to the administration of public health. During his long career, the Dr. Frenette treats all the members of the families, from the elderly to the newborn. Nonetheless, the methods of payment vary; the patients pay per treatment, in advance or by paying a yearly charge, the villagers preferring to pay in cash while the farmers generally exchange goods and services. That is the way it was in the times of this country doctor.

The Maison Dr Joseph-Frenette is open every day during the summer.

Competitive rates
Family rate
Group rate (12 pers. or more)
Also available: package including the visit of the Matamajaw Historical Site.

The Maison Dr Joseph-Frenette is managed by the Corporation de développement touristique, faunique et culturel (FAUCUS).

Parking facility available at the Tourist Welcome Bureau and Matamajaw Historical Site.

The Maison Dr Joseph-Frenette
3, rue Frenette
Causapscal (Qc)  G0J 1J0
Information and reservation: 418 756-5999
Fax: 418 756-3344
faucuscar@globetrotter.net


Matamajaw Historical Site

The historical site has 5 different buildings to visit. The main pavilion has a dining room, a day room, 5 rooms with different themes, and an exposition hall. The Amerindian Lodge has an information kiosk and a souvenir shop. The Canoe Hut has varied expositions as well as examples of canoes from the last century. Guest may also visit the Snow Shack and The Guards House.

Visit the salmon pond where you can observe salmon through a glass window. In mid September, when they will begin to spawn the salmon are put back into the river.

Bilingual exhibition, touring exhibition, boutiques

Take advantage of your stop at the Matamajaw Historical Site to picnic at the the Forks park when you can see fly fishing on the river.

Visit to the Principal Lodge (Museum), Snow Shed, Boat Shed, Indian Hut and Salmon Pool

Opening hours are everyday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Prices for visits are: $5.00 for adults.
$4.25 for senior citizens over 65 and for students.
$15.00 for families; and free admission for children under 5.

MATAMAJAW HISTORICAL SITE and MAISON DR JOSEPH-FRENETTE
2007 Rates (taxes included)

Principal Lodge (Museum), Snow Shed, Boat Shed, Indian Hut and Salmon Pool

Adults: $5.70; students or seniors 65 and over: $4.85; families: $17.10; children 5 and under, free.

Take advantage of our package: DR. JOSEPH-FRENETTE HOUSE AND COLLECTION

Adults: $9.70; students and seniors 65 and over: $8.00; families $29.65

EVERY DAY FROM JUNE TO SEPTEMBER

The Matamajaw Historical Site is situated on highway 132 across from the tourist information bureau at:
53 C St-Jacques Sud
Causapscal (Québec) GOJ 1JO
Tel.: 418 756 5999
Fax: 418 756 3344
E-mail : faucuscar@globetrotter.net